Placards are larger than printed shipping labels and are not designed to be fixed to small packages. Placards are displayed on trucks, rail cars freight containers, and containers loaded into aircraft using unit load devices.
Dangerous goods placards are square or diamond-shaped signs that indicate the presence of hazardous materials or dangerous goods.
Placards are displayed on vehicles, containers, and packaging that transport hazardous materials by road, rail, sea, or air. The placards are used to communicate the type and level of risk associated with the hazardous materials and to warn people of the potential danger.
Dangerous Goods Placards and UN Numbers
The most common dangerous goods placards and their associated UN numbers include:
- Red placard with an explosion symbol and the word ‘Explosives’
- UN numbers: 001 to 010
- Green placard with a gas cylinder symbol and the name of the gas
- UN numbers: 1001 to 1099 (compressed gases), 1950 (aerosols)
Flammable Liquids Placards
- Red placard with a flame symbol and the words “Flammable Liquid”
- UN numbers: 1202 (petrol), 1267 (petroleum distillates), 1863 (fuel, aviation, turbine engine)
Flammable Solids Placards
- Red placard with a flame symbol and the words “Flammable Solid”
- UN numbers: 1325 (matches), 1330 (metal powders)
Oxidizing Substances Placards
- Yellow placard with an “O” symbol and the words “Oxidizing Substances”
- UN numbers: 2014 (potassium permanganate), 2209 (perchlorates)
Toxic and Infectious Substances Placards
- White placard with a skull and crossbones symbol and the words “Toxic” or “Poison”
- UN numbers: 2814 (infectious substances), 2920 (toxic liquids), 3291 (toxic solids)
Radioactive Materials Placards
- Yellow placard with a trefoil symbol and the words “Radioactive”
- UN numbers: 2908 (uranium hexafluoride), 2912 (plutonium)
Corrosive Substances Placards
- Red and white placard with a corrosion symbol and the words “Corrosive”
- UN numbers: 1760 (sulfuric acid), 3264 (battery acid)
This is not an exhaustive list. There are many other dangerous goods placards and UN numbers that correspond to different types of hazardous materials. It’s important to consult the relevant government regulations and guidelines for the proper transportation, handling, and storage of hazardous materials.
LK Printing Dangerous Goods Labels
LK Printing provides labelling solutions for local and international markets. We specialise in dangerous goods labels for air freight, maritime, rail, and road transport:
- Class Diamond dangerous goods labels
- United Nations (UN) labels
- Subsidiary risk labels
- International Air Transport Association (IATA) labels
- Globally Harmonised System (GHS) chemical labels
- Custom labels
- Emergency Information Panels
- PVC Vinyl Banners
Call LK Printing on 0434 154 351 for advice on the right labels for your needs.